Foreword

"Pete Mesling's None So Deaf gave me a serious dose of the creeps. Herein lies an assemblage of horrors that, when it isn't reminding you of Bradbury at his grimmest, will have you double-checking the locks and turning on all the lights. Wonderful stuff indeed."—Kealan Patrick Burke, Bram Stoker Award-winning author of The Turtle Boy, Kin, and Sour Candy


It feels like a long time ago that I published my first collection of short horror fiction, but dig this, good people of the web: it was only last January. Isn't that the way it is with momentous occurrences? They have a way of making time run a little fast, or a little slow.


Well, it was momentous to me, anyway. Years of toiling away at my craft had finally paid off. I was about to lunge past a significant milestone on the path to the evasive writing career that had been in my sights for years. It had taken me a little longer to catch that first lucky break (not counting my first sale) than it does for some, but the clouds had parted at last. I almost felt like rushing out to buy a pipe and a corduroy jacket with elbow patches.

Ah, but I should have paid more attention to those dark clouds bearing down on the horizon. And maybe, just maybe, I shouldn’t have started my first collection with a story titled “The Worst is Yet to Come.”

But I’m getting ahead of myself ...

I had offloaded None So Deaf, as the collection came to be known, to a small press out of Toronto. The idea was that they would publish it as an e-book initially, with a paperback edition to follow. Not only that, but a second volume, None So Blind, was simultaneously prepared for the same kind of eventual rollout. By God, we had killer cover art by Bill Howard! We had blurbs from the likes of Kealan Patrick Burke, Mort Castle, and Jay Bonansinga! And of course the stories were all written and rarin’ to go. There was even talk of future limited editions of both volumes, to feature alternate covers. Suddenly my star was on the rise.

But as we all know, a star may be dead or dying by the time its light reaches the earthling eye. Unbeknownst to me, my publisher was careering toward a fiscal wall, and the future of my collections was on the other side of it—if they had a future. The publisher decided to pull the lion’s share of his titles from digital and print distribution, retaining only the most reliable sellers for his inventory. And just like that, my two-volume collection of terrifying fiction was denied its chance to see the light of day as a print phenomenon. None So Blind has never even seen the inside of a Kindle.

Enter the None So Deaf blog you are currently reading. This is no mere online resurrection of the aforementioned volumes. Here you will find the very best of my short fiction, both previously published and previously unpublished. Some of it will come from None So Deaf. Some will come from None So Blind. Some will have been written years ago. Some will be brand new. These stories will travel across the varied landscape of the horror genre, from the realistic to the purely imaginative. They might even touch on other genres, though ever so lightly. Rest assured that I'll keep you informed of the particulars on a case-by-case basis.

If this sounds to you like a journey worth taking, stick around. I intend to fill this space with the best fiction I know how to write. There will even be the occasional poem, no doubt.


Now buckle up and grab your flashlight. We’re headed into the dark, you and I, and the way is strewn with pitfalls. Though I thank you sincerely for your interest in my work, I cannot be held responsible for any brain damage it may cause. (For the truly stout of heart, you’ll find a more detailed account of my decision to launch the None So Deaf blog here.)


www.petemesling.com

April 1, 2017 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contents

Crisscross Purposes